Friday, May 24, 2013

Historical Print Collectors' Conference and Visit to Northern Kentucky U

I was lucky to attend the American Historical Print Collectors Society (AHPCS) for their 38th Annual Meeting, first time in Cincy. Thanks to the generosity of our local print collector and enthusiast, Allen Bernard, and several foundations, a few other folks and I were able to go on scholarship.

The host hotel was the Hilton Netherland Plaza- one of my favorite buildings in Cincinnati. The first speaker was Wes Cowan of Antiques Roadshow on collecting prints. There was another great talk afterwards on the cultural history of sports represented in printmaking.

Next was my other most favorite building- the Union Terminal Train Station! We got to go to the history museum- a huge complex underground that I didn't know was under there : )

There were lots of miniature trains and models of local history. Here's a wee lil' P&G.

Lots of funny signage was to be documented. Silly girl! (the WWII exhibit)

Making sure that ladies wear their brassieres and don't accept lunch from men traveling to Dayton

coming out of the Crisco closet

besides the obvious segregation, married, sick and old are all the same thing, huh?

It's my Royal typewriter! Love the stand too. Sure were a lot of antiques to ogle over 

Ooh, see the Oliver? Always a favorite!

I get to go on a photoshoot on a 'plane'- who boy!

Now onto day 2 of the conference, we start in the Mercantile Library- a most lovely membership library downtown with stacks of old books that you can just pick up and leaf through! First was a fascinating talk on John James Audubon and parts of his life in Cincinnati.

Next was a lecture on the history of lithography shops in town.

A bit of time to peruse the collection- heehee, I thought these two things never went together!

And we get to look at the print collection of Virginius Hall.

One of my favorite maps of Cincinnati plus vignettes

Now a tour, having lunch at the Rookwood- we get to see some views of downtown. Jackie Penny, AHPCS newsletter editor who also works at the American Antiquarian Society, documents our outing.

And Joe, my former student, is now famous. He signs autographs for the collectors- even for folks from Canada!

Next stop is the Main Public Library downtown, where we get to view more collections

Several are by a local favorite, Edward T Hurley

 And of course, Audubon!

 
Next, I am just baffled that I didn't know about this- the Cincinnati Panorama of 1848, one of the world's most famous daguerreotypes!

It has incredible clarity. You can look at it with magnifiers through the case (housed in argon gas in a contraption built by the George Eastman House)

The also have an interactive screen (also online) where every little detail is linked to facts and research, all by category.

So that was a most wonderful conference! Sadly I had to miss the riverboat tour that night and events at the Cincinnati Art Museum the next day as I had to work : ( But just thrilled to attend what I could. I learned lots about prints, local history and made several new friends!

A few days ago, I also got to make a return visit to Northern Kentucky University to work out the details of hopefully working on a stone when I return in the late summer/early fall. I sure do like this idea of traveling around to give some love to neglected litho stones and spread the word!

Here is the view of campus, pretty much right out the windows of the printshop. Isn't this a gorgeous view?

And a printshop tour à la Printeresting- great student signage : )

The schmutz board of shame- you find schmutz, you write it up, the culprit gets shamed. I like it!

The shop- lots of screens, and the graining sink beyond

I also got to view a very nice scholarship show in the gallery upstairs

There were a series of mezzotints by independent student Liam

Loved this one with the clock! (apologies for the reflections)

and a great series of screenprints on corroded metal of Nixon, by Matt

Now back to the shop, here is a wonderful and thorough diagram on spray paint aquatint- I might steal this!

And this is the spray paint of choice for zinc- I'm always looking for tips. My favorite for a while has been Ace's Flat Black Enamel.

Now for some fun experimentation, Print Professor Andrea Knarr exposes a screen in the sun with one of her students. Oh, the anticipation!

Quickly covering...

Hoofing it back to the washout room- this is the hard part- the obstacle course of getting back into the building while keeping it covered.

Starting to wash...

Oh my goodness it worked!! They had to double the time to 1 minute-and-a-half on a cloudy day, almost summer (we will have to call in astronomers to get the most accurate times). Plus the screen was coated on both sides. Fun times and can't wait to get back- love the shop, Andrea and the students, and hooray for more litho in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment